Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Eating Cat food – I don’t think so….

until you read this.

I have always place sardines and deep sea fish in that category of “cat food – if I have to, I will force myself to eat it”…

Until I read the food panel.

Sardines are one of the best sources of omega 3s (those magnificent essential fatty acids that are anti-ageing and anti-wrinkles)!!!

In fact consuming one tin of sardines is like having 2-4 PRACTITIONER omega 3 pills! If you have over the counter fish oils this may equate to 10-12 pills – do your own comparison.

Here is a break down of the food panel:

  per serving per 100g
energy 634j 576 KJ
protein 14.6g 13.3g
fat total 9.2 g 8.4g
- omega 3 fats 1640mg 1500mg
------- EPA 644mg 595mg
--------DHA 1000mg 910mg
carbs 2.5g 2.3g

The warnings are the sodium content – a little high at 653 per tin, but calcium is 200mg +.

This is a John West Panel of sardines in tomato sauce – the only way I can consume the slippery suckers. But so worth it.

I know there are moral issues about Dolphins and John West, but to be honest, I don’t know of any reputable, big sea fisherman – let me know if you do and we will all jump ship (so as to speak).

Eating deep sea fish does have the risk of consuming too much mercury (as deep sea fish eat all the other fish along the way,so accumulate the most junk and heavy metals – technically deep sea fish are at the bottom of  the food chain), so in line with the USA FDA – pregnant women are advised not to consume deep sea fish and to get their omega 3 from elsewhere.

So if it has been a few years since you have snacked on some sardines – give them a whirl. Yes they are a little oily – that is the idea. Spread them on ryvitas, rice cakes, or a good quality bread. Enjoy!

No comments: