Monday, March 30, 2009

Ethical eating of chocolate

Bridgets, as if there isn't enough guilt associated with indulging in one of life's greatest delights, eating chocolate, then here is something else to think about.
When i was in the UK, I noticed that this is a BIG issue. It will become more of an issue here in Australia, for us, less refined, convicts, in the next year or so, i imagine. That is the big issue of FAIR TRADE chocolate.
For a product to receive the FAIR TRADE stamp of approval, the Cocoa must be grown and cultivated in a manner that doesn't include child slavery (as one example). Apparently many cocoa beans come from Africa, with 58% coming from Ghana and the Ivory Coast, who are not FAIR TRADE COUNTRIES. This puts one in a delimma. Well maybe it doesn't.... Maybe we should all take the correct stance and say "no" to non-FAIR TRADE countries. I really don't know the ramifications of denying this countries their income - I really don't . I know ethically, morally and as a mum, it doesn't sit right, but there is more at stake for these struggling countries.
For now, maybe we should err towards buying FAIR TRADE. And as i know more, I shall post away.
I need to go back to my chocolate now, it is late, my head is hurting and i know sweet chocolate, FAIR TRADE or otherwise will heal the soul.
Nitey nite Bridget

No comments: