Thursday, April 2, 2009

SMS etiquette

Bridgets, TGIF!
(That's thank-god-its-friday).... Don't know why I say that as everyday is a hoot, but there is a certain air of anticipation, expectation and excitment on a Friday.
Today I wanted to urge all sms uses to apply some courtesy as this week I have encountered some breeches in the "yet-to-be-put-in-stone" SMS etiquette laws. Until then, I think the following should apply:
1. SMS at reasonable times. It's not OK to sms someone with something trivial at 11pm. Do it in the morning.
2. Always sign off with your name
3. If someone is clearly asking for feedback or a response - do so. If it is only a reminder sms - you don't need to respond, unless your plans change
4. sometimes it is appropriate to call someone (ie discussion) rather than sms. If you are unsure send the person a "sounder-outera" EG "hey, is it ok if i give you a call or do you mind me sms about something..". The person will let you know what suits at that point
5. Some people prefer sms and others don't. Personally I use sms alot as I sendat least 50 every day to different people, so for me it saves time (if i made 50 phone calls, there's the 1 minute good bye etc... and i would lose an hour each day). Work out who likes sms or calling. It's as easy as asking "do you mind if I sms or would you prefer I call".

So Bridgets, have a brilliant TGIF and wonderful week-end,

love Bridge x

No comments: