Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Why relaxing is as good as prozac

Relaxation or "active relaxation" (as I refer to any activity with the intention to make you feel relaxed) is imperative.

Today while thinking about writing this article, I found myself skating aimlessly around the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website.

I actually thought I would find lots of supporting evidence backing up some theories (perceptions) that I had. But both appear to be a little mislead. I thought we would be spending more time in leisure activities (not the case) and I also thought that women would be participating in greater numbers in sport (not the case)!

According to article 4153 - How Australians Use Their Time, 2006

Feb 21st 2008; We're spending less time playing, sleeping, eating or drinking and instead are working longer!

Recreation and Leisure activities had decreased by 1 hour and 45 minutes per week, from 1997 until 2006! Nearly 2 hours less, spent on the things we love. That really doesn't make sense to me. No wonder we need prozac.

Active relaxation allows the hormones, cortisol, adrenaline and noradrenaline to settle and for the glands producing these hormones, the adrenal glands, to replenish.

If you don't give your body active relaxation, you end up run down, inflammed (elevated cortisol levels) which leads to other inflammatory diseases, allergy and depression.

Try to find something easy and convenient that you can do for 10 mins every day.

No comments: